Aafster Life Banner

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

DIY - Solom's Angry Birds birthday invites


This is my first crafty post (only literally speaking). My little boy is turning four! FOUR. You know what I'm thinking: if the past four years seemed like a lifetime, the next four years are going to be an eternity!

Anyway, to make passing this time more bearable (and also because I'm super excited about the theme for Solom's birthday this year) I decided to make the invitation cards for his party by hand. With a little cheating, of course.

There are tonnes and tonnes of ideas for Angry Birds birthday parties all over the net. This invite became the inspiration for the one I wound up doing for Solom (link here).



It seemed easy to do, got the point across and HAD MOVING, 3-D EYES FOR GOD'S SAKE. Loved it! It really got my creative cells jumping, so I decided to adapt this concept for Solom's cards. Here's how.

First, I dug up an image of the King Pig from the net and got it printed on card paper with a regular laser printer. Then I folded the paper and cut it, leaving the fold at the ears so that it became a two-layer, opening card.



Next, pasted a message on the inside and a small magnet at the back of the card. The purpose of the magnet, other than to make the card super-cool, was to enable invitees to put the card up on their fridges so that they wouldn't miss the date (we gave the cards out a little early).



Once that was done, I pasted a reduced size, photocopied map of directions over the magnet. This ensured optimal use of the space on the card and also secured the magnet (although it did leave a mysterious-looking bump in the middle that some people thought was a chocolate coin). Then I just trimmed the edges of the map along the outline of the card.



And finally, my favourite part: the eyes! Got them at Rs. 6 apiece from the same art shop that stocked the magnets. They really made the image pop!



To make the card brighter, I used permanent marker to outline some of the features (you'll see the difference in the final product below). The cards were labour intensive but for a closet craft-freak like me they were totally worth the effort. The end result was a richly layered card that was small in size but high on impact and functionality.






Dontcha love 'em? Say you do!

17 comments:

  1. LOVE them....LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE them!
    You MUST keep one card for Solom...and even though I'm going to miss the party :( , can I please have one too?
    And this step-by-step photography was a mighty cool idea. Btw, where was Suleiman when you were making the cards?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE you for saying so! You can definitely have a card, being so appreciative and all that. Solom was around when all this madness was going on. In and out. These days he thinks every day is his birthday.

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday to your little boy. The cards are gorgeous. I love planning my kids' birthday parties too and have stayed up nights doing everything by hand. It is so much fun and althought my kids don't appreciate it now I hope when they grow up they realize all the hard work their mom put into their birthdays:P Hope your little one's party goes really well!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A kindred soul! You must share photos of some of the stuff you've done. Would love to see.

      Delete
  3. wow. such hard work. Most impressed. :)
    But why no" angry bird". :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because the party will be FULL OF ANGRY BIRDS! This is just to throw the attendees off the scent ;-)

      Delete
  4. Hi Aafia:
    Glad to see that you are back. Heartiest wishes to Solom for his birthday. I know I am really really sentimental..but would you consider keeping one card to treasure? After all, there is so much love that has gone into making them.:)

    Thanks for sharing your joy.

    With warm wishes

    Anu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear from you again, Anu :-) The first card went up on our own fridge! There's more craft yet to be done for this party so expect more posts on this topic. I trust all is well with you?

      Delete
  5. haram invitation cards *smh*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love them. You know i did my Mayoun/Ubtan cards my self a my wedding :D Its so much fun.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a beautiful idea. Do you have a photo to share?

      Delete
  7. Nice! I will ask you to make cards for my b-day too next year. But you have serious competition in shewar, I should add, shes even more "crafty" than you and did little goody bags designed as tutus... you mums are nuts!
    Mun

    ReplyDelete